Wednesday, March 2, 2016


What I enjoyed the most reading these blog posts is looking at the syllabuses. I never really thought there was so much to do, before this class as far as activities, when it came to selfies. I think these blogs make you see how much our classes are changing and how now more than ever we need to be familiar with the internet. I think it is refreshing to see teachers who are being creative and finding ways to keep the students and themselves entertained. At the same time, it looks like these classes are worthwhile because they are hard and have some assignments that require skills a regular English class would. I think they basically found a good middle ground, and I like the fact the people mentioned represent what our class is fundamentally about which is “openness” and collaboration (Cronin). Collaboration seems to be something a lot of these authors and teachers value.

In addition, I was also interested in the blog Selfie Pedagogy III: Networked Spaces, Slut Shaming and Putting Selfies in Dialogue with Theory. Some topics were addressed that will always be important and probably have been addressed in other classes as well. So, with this blog there is this idea of interconnectedness, and I think some of these blogs were in fact connected to my presentation on Monday in Composition Studies Research and Methods. The statement “because students ‘were all making selfies or could make them,’ they could more easily make the intellectual leap to paying more attention to networked spaces” made me think back to transferability which was mentioned in Writing in High School/Writing in College: Research Trends and Future Directions by Joanne Addison and Sharon James McGee (qtd. in Losh, Selfie Pedagogy III). Moreover, I thought it was interesting Radhika Gajjala in Elizabeth Losh’s article Selfies, Snapchat, and Distance Learning does something with her students very similar to what we are thinking about doing for our final project. That alone confirms that some of the ideas my classmates and my teacher purposed are indeed really tied into what we are learning in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment