Wednesday, March 30, 2016


I enjoyed reading both of these chapters. After reading Filtered Reality I agree that “it is interesting that all the definitions and examples the OED lists for filter as a noun or as a verb emphasise the removal of unwanted content or impurities” (Rettberg 21). Normally, when I use a filter on a picture I do not think anything is wrong with the picture. I just think I am enhancing or “adding to the image” (Rettberg 21). Normally, a picture I choose to filter is a picture I have to like in the first place.

Even with that being said, it is kind of surprising I find that statement to be surprising. I will admit I do refrain myself from filtering what I deem to be a lot. I think in a way it does have a negative vibe attached to it. I care about what people think, and I just think some people say or think to themselves, when they see someone always filtering their pictures, does she/he have low self-esteem? I even think some people do not consider the person to be attractive anymore. To me, filtering can be compared to using makeup. In both cases, I refrain from using it too much.  

Below, is a picture I filtered.

Description: C:\Users\owner\Pictures\kskssa.jpg                                Description: C:\Users\owner\Pictures\lklkkklbj,.nb.jpg

Furthermore in the next chapter Serial Selfies, I found what Brown and Antin did to be really interesting. I think Brown especially reinforces the idea that you can use pictures to get a message across, and like the other readings mentioned teach. I think people assume when you take a lot of pictures you are stuck on yourself. I like how this chapter shows the positive side of taking a lot of photos. This chapter really makes me not care about how many I choose to take.

 

 

 

 

                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment