Wednesday, April 13, 2016

While reading Chapter Two in Participatory Culture in a Networked Era, the only thing I could really think about is how my parents were and what they did. Like I mentioned to some classmates before, my parents were not strict when it came to monitoring my internet use. I think it had a lot to do with trust. I do not think their lack of monitoring me showed a lack of “ ‘good parenting’ ” (Jenkins, Ito, and Boyd 41). I actually appreciated it.
After reading this chapter, I know I am different. I willingly showed and still do show my parents pictures or comments I post. I have a habit of seeking an opinion about remarks I make, poems I write, or even photos. Usually it is when I like something, but I am not sure how others will feel or when I want to make sure what I am saying is clear enough for people to understand but vague enough to be interpreted different ways.
The only thing my dad really showed concern about was the photos I posted online. He was and still is concerned about strangers being able to figure out where I live. But, to say I post statuses on Facebook that are personal he has never had a problem with what I shared. He is one of those people who just disappears and then randomly pops up one day, reads your stuff, and comments.
In regards to sharing personal information though, deeper within chapter two I really liked the fact the authors chose to discuss the positive side of sharing, and chapter three to me was directly tied to our classroom conversations about having a range of people in your network.  I like all of the questions raised in chapter three, and it also made me think about my own actions. I get a little nervous knowing I do not have the best connections, but I believe intelligence can get you far.




No comments:

Post a Comment