Wednesday, March 23, 2016


Right from the jump what caught my attention about White Flight in Networked Publics? How Race and Class Shaped American Teen Engagement with MySpace and Facebook by Danah Boyd, is the fact she chose not to focus on how technology is changing and improving people’s engagement but how people are not changing and how technology is reinforcing their resistance to change. I like the fact she is showing negatives in a world that it embracing, reinforcing, and loving technology. Sometimes, these platforms make a person’s hatred less noticeable, and I never would have thought about MySpace in the way Kat described it before this article. Yes, everyone heard and maybe even said Facebook was more professional, but who really took that comment to the extreme? Just because one chooses to use MySpace, does that really mean they are not professional?

I actually had MySpace at one point, and I honestly miss some of the features. The only reason I was reluctant at first to switch over to Facebook was because I felt like everything gets played out and it was only a matter of time before Facebook did. In a way, I felt pressured to “switch to” Facebook even though I was content (Boyd 3). I felt like a lot of people I knew had and talked about it, and that caused MySpace to indeed like Kat said become boring. If you did not have Facebook, you kind of felt like you were missing out.

Furthermore, I really enjoyed the comments made about why one preferred either Facebook or MySpace. I could identify with a lot of them, and I was actually happy I have Facebook and had MySpace. I was able to understand, agree, or disagree with the points the author or the people she cited made more. In addition, this article and the other article Self-Segregation: Why It’s so Hard for Whites to Understand Ferguson by Robert P. Jones brought up this whole issue of lenses. Jones article made me think about Martha’s discussion question Monday. I agree with Dr. Zamora I think one of our problems is people refuse or do not attempt to understand other people’s perspective. Some people just care about themselves and only value what they think.

No comments:

Post a Comment