Wednesday, February 24, 2016


I just want to start off by saying I think it is really interesting how previous class discussions in several of my classes can somehow always be tied to the readings. Something I found particularly interesting in chapter 5 of Net Smart is the “research results” by James Fowler and Nicholas Christakis which said “people’s happiness is influenced by how happy their friends, neighbors, and coworkers are” (qtd. in Rheingold 197). I have always noticed that about myself, but I honestly just thought it varied depending on the person and their personality or heart. I agree “The surprising implication is that at least part of your happiness might depend on people you never met” (Rheingold 198). Maybe that explains why I cry so easily when I see strangers sad or crying. But, one of the most important points made is “network awareness might be vital to health and happiness” (Rheingold 198). I definitely agree with it having a connection to happiness. You can find yourself in stressful situations when your class and even society nowadays revolves around technology and you just know basic information. Which is why, I wanted to take Composition Theory and New Media Studies. I wanted to become more familiar with technology and that is what I thought would happen when I became a part of this class. I would like the final project to be a combination of my strengths and weaknesses. Like Dr. Zamora mentioned in class, I want to “learn new tools” to improve my weakness, but I also want to display my strength. Since I want to become a teacher, “learning new tools” would be beneficial to me, but I also agree with Maria “we should write.” Dr. Zamora and my class discussion on Monday taught me you should never get too comfortable in anything and there is always room to grow. Even Rheingold points to never knowing everything or enough in chapter 6.  With that being said, there is still a lot I need to learn when it comes to writing, and I would like for this project to somehow build upon networking.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment