Wednesday, February 3, 2016



In “Crap Detection 101: How to Find What You Need to Know, and How to Decide If It’s True” by Howard Rheingold I love the fact he decided to use Ernest Hemingway’s quote to open up chapter two. I agree with anyone who thinks we already “have a built- in automatic crap detector operating inside” us (qtd. in Rheingold 77). Sometimes, it is simply a matter of people ignoring it, which Soo Young Rieh and Brian Hilligoss confirmed, and sometimes I do agree “disinformation can be well crafted” (Rheingold 80). When reading this chapter, I could not help but think back to high school and the first couple of years in college. In high school and college, it was really instilled or drilled in us to do some of the simple things Rheingold mentions. In fact, teachers aided in the process by writing or making comments about statements or sites that were questionable. But as I read more and more, I realized that there is still a lot I need to learn myself. Besides the websites I knew nothing about, Rheingold says in chapter three, “(part of attention self-training consists of cultivating the ability to stop reading something that promises to be toxic)” (114). Facebook has made me realize my lack of talent in this area, and Rheingold’s statement makes me think about what I said to my group members for the exercise last class.


In addition while reading, there were moments when my desire to use books increased. For example when he said, “you could be somewhat confident that someone checked the author’s claims about facts before the book was published” (Rheingold 77). I have always preferred using books over anything that involves using the internet. At the same time, I love the fact I feel like I am a part of this “participatory culture,” and I know my contribution “isn’t all about individual advantage” (Rheingold 113-114). What I realize and appreciate with Rheingold is he never really lets you be completely satisfied with anything. One moment you are loving books and then the next moment you are reconsidering your habits. He follows his own advice and makes sure his own work is not considered bias.


 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment